Background: A certain phrase paired with an exhale has a slightly different feel than that same phrase paired with an inhale. When we have a 3 phrase cycle, one approach is to simply rotate through all 3 sentences. The result of this is that each phrase gets connected to both inhales and exhales. We can experience, therefore, what those phrases are like.
In the exercises that follow, I have chosen two of my favorite 3-sentence cycles. They are rather Christo-centric. You can, of course, replace them with something more to your liking.
- Place your feet flat on the floor.
- Breathe a cleansing breath.
- With your next inhale, say “Christ was born”
- With your next exhale, “Christ has died.”
- With your next inhale, “Christ will come again.”
- Continue this pattern, working your way through the entire cycle: Christ was born/ Christ has died/ Christ will come again.
- When you are ready, release the phrases.
- Wordlessly, enjoy some time with God.
Spend some time, when your practice is done, considering the omnipresence of God. God is here and not here; present and not-yet.
Background: Breath does not have to be a 2-part process. We can create a 3-count in our breath by pausing for a moment; holding the breath as we consider a phrase.
Holding the breath is an interesting thing. It creates, in me, a distant and deeply submerged sort-of terror. Simultaneously, it is also like a micro-fast. Breathing, like eating, is a requirement. To abstain for a time from either one is to confront our physical limitations and our animal nature.
I suspect that some of this emotional intensity rubs itself off on to the feelings associated with the phrases.
- Find a bit of calm. Place your feet flat on the floor. Breathe slowly.
- With your next inhale, think “Here I am, God.”
- As you exhale, think, “Here you are God.”
- Holding your breath, think, “Here we are, together.”
- Repeat the process: With the inhale, “Here I am God.” With the exhale: “Here you are God.” Holding the Breath, “Here we are, together.”
- Give most of the time in your practice today to these 3 steps.
- When you are ready, release these words. Resume a normal 2-part breathing pattern with out holding the breath.
Through out your day, know that you are here, and God is here, and you are here, together.
You can help in turning The Faith-ing Project into a fully functioning community. You can do this in several ways:
- Share your thoughts, feelings, and criticism below in the comments.
- email email@example.com to share something directly with the Project’s Director, or to ask to be placed on the mailing list.
- Access exclusive content and help The Faithing Project continue to deliver this conetent to a world in need: become a Patron.
- follow @faithingproject on twitter.
Pingback: You are welcome here. | The Faith-ing Project
interesting exercises in breathing. Have never encountered any such lessons. Thank you.