Background: The Eastern (Orthodox) churches have a long history of supporting the repetition of this phrase. It is traditionally suggested that this be said from the “heart” and not the “head.” The instructions are generally to say it with out ceasing, preferably out loud. The goal is to reach a place of ceaseless prayer, where these words are constantly being thought and experienced.
- Place your feet flat on the floor.
- Breathe in through your nose, and out through your mouth.
- Say the following words out loud. Try to feel their meaning. “Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”
- Repeat that phrase for the duration of your spiritual practice.
You can help in turning The Faith-ing Project into a fully functioning community. You can do this in several ways:
- Share your thoughts, feelings, and criticism below in the comments.
- email email@example.com to share something directly with the Project’s Director, to join our next email campaign, or to ask to be placed on the mailing list.
- Access exclusive content and help The Faithing Project share spiritual practices with a world in desperate need. Become a Patron.
- follow @faithingproject on twitter.
Pingback: You Are Welcome Here. | The Faith-ing Project