It will be helpful, before practicing to bring to have choosen a small group of people whom you feel very safe and comfortable around.
- Find a relaxing pose. If you can comfortably manage it, feet flat on the floot and spine upright are ideal.
- Release your worries, stresses and concerns with your next exhales.
- Inhale all the way down into your hips.
- Exhale feeling your belly draw closer to your spine.
- Close your eyes.
- See yourself– and your friends– in a clearing on a cold winter’s night. Your breath comes out in clouds and a light dusting of snow covers the ground. You are dressed warmly, comfortably. There is a single towering pine tree in the center of the clearing. The outskirts of the clearing is defined by smaller trees and shrubbery. It is a ways beyond you. The moon is so bright! It illuminates the clouds which a gentle wind keeps slowly creeping across the sky.
- Form a circle around that central tree. Take your friends hands. Someone squeezes, and that squeeze comes around the circuit like a pulse. See yourselves and your friends. Their are smiles here.
- As you breathe, breathe with your friends. Feel the way you are inhaling together. Feel the cold, invigorating you in the quiet. Feel the way you are exhaling together. This is a connection.
- Connect for a while, just this. Feeling the closeness on the winter night. Seeing your breath.
- Now, connect to the great tree in the middle. Your exhales are the trees inhales. Perhaps the cloud from someone’s breath even lands on a pine needle. there is a symmetry here. Breathing with your friends.
- Give most of the time you have remaining to this connection. When you are ready, gently squeeze the hands on your left and your right.
Discovering the Essence: How to Build a Spiritual Practice is coming in November. Click the link for a free preview and more information.