Background: One of the values of mindfulness practice is that it simply brings a focus to the breath. On one level, the specifics of the breathing count is not the most important thing. The most important thing is to note the reaction that different lengths of inhales and exhales take.
However, there has been significant research done. It seems that breathing in for a count of 7 and breathing out for a count of 11 is the best timing to maintain an alert awareness. First responders, are in fact, taught 7-11 breathing as a way to be calm in the fact of panic.
- Find your center by placing your feet flat on the floor.
- As you breathe in, keep a steady internal count of 7.
- As you breathe out, keep a steep internal count of 11.
- As your mind wanders, return to the breath.
You can help in turning The Faith-ing Project into a fully functioning community. You can do this in several ways:
- Share your thoughts, feelings, and criticism below in the comments.
- email firstname.lastname@example.org to share something directly with the Project’s Director, to join our next email campaign, or to ask to be placed on the mailing list.
- Access exclusive content and help The Faithing Project share spiritual practices with a world in desperate need. Become a Patron.
- follow @faithingproject on twitter.